Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Grilled Lamb Chops...Oh. My. Goodness.

Another trick to getting cheap food - check the "reduced for quick sale" areas. At Foodland yesterday I just happened to go in right after they'd put out about 5 carts full of discontinued merchandise.

Let me interject this here. I grew up in a family that ran, among other things, some convenience stores. Mom always brought home the milk that was a day from expiration, and for the following reason - read the labels and there are guarantees that the stuff is good for X amount of days after purchase, the expiration date is just a limit on when a retailer can sell, NOT when you can consume.

Why? Because if you got sick off the stuff you could sue the bejesus out of them, that's why. They are all about CYA, so you're safe.

Anyway, as Foodland last night I had salad on the brain. It's what I wanted for dinner, and had stopped in, in theory, only to buy a head of romaine and some tomatoes. But all the discontinued things were the organic stuff they carry, and when they mark down, it all goes half off (or better). I picked up plenty o' salad dressing, as well as some tortellinis and hummus mix on the cheap. May still be going on - get yours before it's too picked over.

ANYWAY, tonight I grilled. Lamb chops. Which I'd purchased previously and froze (side note - this was on a Wednesday morning I found them, and quite a selection. Maybe that's they day they refresh all the merch?) for half off because they were close to their expiration date. Actually, that day I grabbed 2 packs of 4 ea., plus some ribeyes and pork chops. The key? Put the damned stuff in the friggin' freezer when you get home. Leave it in the fridge, you'll have to toss it soon. Freeze it, you're cool.

Thawed them out 2 days ago and have been marinading in shoyu and Worcestershire sauce since. Grilled over Maui Kiawe charcoal (purchase previously from Foodland on sale) with black pepper and fresh rosemary rubbed in before grilling.

Another cheap tip - go on up to Home Depot and buy live herbs you use frequently. So easy to grow in a window box and so cheap in the long run, not to mention much tastier.

Chops were AMAZING, according to even my ultra-pessimistic and picky husband.

A huge ribeye is now thawing in the fridge....can't wait....

No comments:

Post a Comment