Sunday, May 17, 2009

Hope you've been printing and clipping!

So the ball-n-chain sends me out yesterday with a list. Like I don't have enough food in the house already! But he had a few things he just NEEDED and I wanted some fresh produce. Here's the best deals I found:

SAFEWAY
* They've got a promo right now, "buy 5, save $5". Basically, certain items are already on sale, but if you buy 5 or more (mix and match, at the same price point), they're $1 ea. cheaper. On the list I had was "sugary cereal", since my guys are too lazy to add their own. Luckily, Kellogg's cereals qualified for this promo! Cereals that are normally $5.99-$6.19 were on sale for $4. Buy 5, and they're $3 ea. But wait. 2 weeks ago I had printed, at Safeway.com, coupons for $1 off ea for Apple Jacks, Froot Loops, Corn Pops, Frosted Mini Wheats and Frosted Flakes, all of which were on sale. Boo-yah!
* Breyer's 1.5 quart ice cream - normally $7.99 ea,, on sale 2/$7! But wait - I had coupons from the paper 3-4 weeks back for $0.75 off 1. So I got 2 for $5.50, or $10.48 off!
* Fruit-By-The-Foot, my kid loves this stuff. Normally $4.19, on sale for $3, buy 5 and they're $2. I had 2 coupons I'd printed on line for $0.75 off 2, so the tally was $8.50 for $20.95 worth of snacks.
* Catalinas on Pillsbury dough - three different items qualified for a buy 3, get a $3 catalina deal. They were cinnamon rolls, pizza crusts, and french bread loafs, all of which are very tasty ANYWAY. Getting $9 back at the register only made the deal sweeter.

FOODLAND
Chase had put, on his list, some hippy crap, like soy milk, etc. Foodland is often more expensive than Safeway, but they have a better selection, IMHO, of local/organic/healthy/hippy stuff. I was pleasantly surprised when I got there.
* First - oranges were cheaper at Foodland this week than Safeway. Damn me, should have waited and bought them here. They were on the list, but I didn't re-check the circular before leaving the house. Don't make my mistake!
* Romaine lettuce was also cheaper than Safeway, at $1.79/lb (but tomatoes on the vine were better at Safeway - $2.99/lb.)
* Kraft shredded cheese - regularly $5.29 for an 8 oz. bag, they're currently 2/$5. A good thing to stock up on, especially to use to make pizzas with that dough from Safeway!
* Selsun Blue - the anti-dandruf shampoos don't usually come cheap, and I don't really need them, but the husband likes them. Well, they had some, regularly $7.99 ea on close-out for $3.49. I just happened to have coupons for $2 off ea., and $1.49 for a $7.99 bottle of shampoo, while not as good as free, is still a good deal.
* Gillette Sensor 3 4pk razors, regularly $10.49, on sale for $5.99, I had $2 off coupons.
* Organic Valley Eggs - now, you know you pay a premium for the organic, cage-free stuff, but organic eggs really are a little tastier. Normally I don't get them because of the price, but 1/2 dozens, normally $4.99, were on sale for $3.49, and there were coupons in store for $1 off. Don't get the full dozen for $6.99 - get 2 half dozens, so you can use 2 coupons!
* Meadow Gold yogurt. Their stuff is pricy, but if you've ever had the guava flavored one, you'll know why. Anyway, normally they're $1.69 ea., on sale for $0.79 ea. More than 1/2 off. PLUS the Meadow Gold lady was in the house with samples and coupons - some for buy 3, get 1 free. That brings them down to about $0.59 ea., which is more tolerable. And yummy.
* Post Trail Mix cereal - normally $7.99 ea, on sale for $4.59, I had $1 off coupon. Not technically a "sugar cereal", but tasty and healthy.

In summary, some super-cheap deals at Safeway, some real good prices on premium foods at Foodland this week. Gotta go get my paper now. I'll let you know if there's anything exciting in it.

No comments:

Post a Comment